Public Consultation - Anglican ZO & ZK
Pursuant to the provision of Part V, Division 4 of the Cemeteries Act 1986, the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board has given notice of intention to implement a redevelopment scheme in the Anglican ZO and Anglican ZK sections of Karrakatta Cemetery. This intention was advertised within The West Australian Newspaper on Saturday 7 December 2019.
To ensure the ongoing operation of Karrakatta Cemetery, the Cemetery Renewal program has been in place for many decades. Renewal allows for the creation of new memorial gardens and new burial plots in the pathways between existing graves. Karrakatta is technically full; there is no new land available yet community demand is ongoing.
The way Cemetery Renewal is implemented is ever evolving. Some quick facts about our current processes –
- No existing burials are disturbed as part of this proposal. New graves are located in between the old graves. A number of old headstones need to be relocated so that new headstones can be accommodated.
- Official War Graves and graves with current tenure rights are retained. These are left untouched during renewal. We have a long-standing Memorandum of Understanding with the Office of Australian War Graves.
- The public are consulted for a minimum of 12 months prior to works commencing. We send letters and place signage at the base of each and every headstone potentially impacted in addition to placing public notices. During this time families are encouraged to provide their contact details, make an appointment to view plans and discuss their options.
- Families are encouraged to put forward a retention submission.
- Headstones are either retained in situ or relocated to garden beds or purpose-built memorial walls in the area. Headstones that are damaged beyond repair with the passage of time (fallen, crumbled etc.) are replaced with bronze plaques.
- A Book of Remembrance is available onsite in each area following renewal. This lists all those interred in the area and assists visitors to locate the original grave and monument.
Plans of the redevelopment scheme for Anglican ZO & ZK may be inspected by appointment at the Karrakatta Cemetery Office during the hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
Cemetery Renewal is a complex and, if not understood properly, potentially confronting topic. Should you have any queries: or if you would like to discuss the proposed development, please ring 1300 793 109 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written submissions to the Board with respect to the redevelopment scheme proposal for Anglican ZO and ZK will be accepted until 5:00pm on Friday 11 December 2020 and should be addressed to:
Chief Executive Officer,
Metropolitan Cemeteries Board,
Po Box 53, Claremont, WA, 6910.