In light of the recent announcement by Prime Minister, Scott Morrison (24 March 2020), in relation to restricting the number of people gathering together to slow the spread of COVID-19, the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board (MCB) advises the following:
As of Thursday 26 March 2020 until further notice:
- There is to be no more than 10 persons at funerals indoor or outdoor. This number includes family and mourners, priests and Funeral Directors. For mausoleum services the number will also include 2 of our staff
- All persons present must observe the 4 squared metre rule and the 1.5 metre rule around social distancing, in addition to hand hygiene etc.
A transcript of the Prime Minister’s full address is available here: https://www.pm.gov.au/media/press-conference-australian-parliament-house-5
The following action will be taken by the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board (MCB):
- All funerals will become private funerals which means “The funeral is by invitation only and is left to the family to contact anyone they wish to attend – this must be in accordance with the Prime Minister’s announcement”.
- There will be no public notice board on MCB grounds
- MCB website will not display the funeral
- Any enquirers from the public will be told that the funeral is private and information regarding the funeral can only come from the families
- Prior to the funeral (burial and cremation), MCB staff will complete the “set up” and will not be included in the number of attendees as they are not consistently present or part of the actual service. For mausoleum services, 2 of our staff members need to be included as attendees.
The only exception to the above is services scheduled for the Fremantle Central Chapel (maximum capacity of 5) and Midland Mausoleum (maximum capacity of 4) due to the condensed nature of these two facilities and social distancing guidelines.
We also advise that with effect from Thursday 26 March 2020, cafes at Karrakatta, Pinnaroo and Fremantle will be closing for a two-week period which may be extended.
This notice is until further advice.
MCB COVID-19 Response
The Metropolitan Cemeteries Board (MCB) continues to follow advice provided by the Department of Health and is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment to all client families, employees and our communities.
Appropriate measures and protocols have been implemented and continue to be developed to manage this situation; we are monitoring developments closely.
As a precautionary measure, we respectfully request that if you have travelled internationally over the last 14 days or are experiencing symptoms similar to cold or flu that you:
- do not attend funeral services and after-funeral gatherings.
- refrain from coming onsite and reschedule any appointments that you have with us.
We are able to provide many of our services by phone and email and would suggest that these be the most appropriate ways to serve you at this point in time. We are also able to accept payments for services using BPay. Please contact our Client Services team on 1300 793 109 or by emailing us at email@example.com